Swetha and I have started having these 5 min quick conversations. They’re more like news swapper moments, when we update each other. Actually I’m the one getting updated. There’s honestly more happening in a nuns life when you compare it to mine. Naturally more prayers but I also mean the social aspect of it.
Yesterday I had this really weird chat with rex *suitable pseudonym* (if you knew me, you would know why ‘rex’ made sense)……anyway, we were casually talking about the temple and stuff. I was actually feeling a little impressed because he’d taken his dad to the temple the day before. Somewhere during our little banter I casually asked him what he’d prayed for. This normally forthcoming guy suddenly becomes extremely tight lipped and in a mock-joking way tells me that ‘we’re not supposed to talk about what we pray for’. Pretty taken aback, I laughed it off by saying something like ‘oh yeah, in any case we’re not supposed to pray FOR something. Praying is simply a way of remembering God.’ And all my mind is thinking is…’what?’…
We tend to form opinions about people. If you’re a little self obsessed (like yours truly) you may be at a risk of perceiving people as two dimensional. It’s honestly a little cruel to restrict people’s worth in your eyes to that but that’s where ‘ignorance is bliss’ comes in. Whenever we personally don’t find people extremely interesting, we automatically assume they’re not interesting. Not that I don’t find rex fascinating. Well…I don’t…but that’s neither here nor there. The thing is that I was so self involved that I didn’t open myself to the hidden depths in him. It made me very uncomfortable. The conversation turned a corner and we talked about other things at great length but this is something that stuck with me.
Very strange. Well, that’s how my day was. Will fill you in as I figure out new things!
Will also talk about my obsession with ‘figuring out’ the world. As though that will make it any better to know why stuff happens! Well actually, it will….:D
06/04/08
2 comments:
Rex?? are you serious? for once i dont get how its related to the real person and his characteristics!!
ummm the secret lies in the name...and the relationship that i shared with him...:D...
Post a Comment