I was thinking about pain today.. and wondering ..
Why is Dettol still in the market? (Dettol being an antiseptic that burns when you apply it)
Why has the no-burn Savlon (a legitimate competitor) not kicked its bum out of business?
with no disrespect aimed at D.. I buy it often.. and I use it a Lot..
but as I dabbed it on today.. I wondered what makes me choose its burning sensation over having my skin tickled by S?
Part of it is conditioning.. for me at least.. if it doesn't hurt.. how do I know its working? how do I know it found the spot? (duh. eyes.) but somehow there is something vaguely satisfying about the knowledge that the balm (however painful) has been applied and all will be well.
But does everyone else also think like me? are we in a consensus? no pain no gain?
maybe its also the name. DETTOL. sounds strong and reassuring.
Savlon. sounds like something you would spray on for fun.
hmm..
maybe I'm overthinking this... but do we operate on patterns of pain?
must I get always get burned to appreciate things? or to even just get the job done?
am I like that horse who needs a prod in the behind to start walking? (aww. horsie. sorry)
do I need the drama to feel things are happening.
I've deliberately mentioned "I" everywhere.. but I wonder (O lovely readers), do you prefer Dettol too?
(I promise I don't work for the company) :)
Love
2 comments:
haha, no savlon is pretty great!
the thing is savlon and dettol each have a different antiseptic in it. although in the same class, they don't really have the same spectrum of effectiveness.
so, you may think they're competing brands, and they are....kinda, but one cannot replace the other.
is like saying : I like oranges, so how come mausambi? screw the bloody mausambi.
ah non*facepalms*, i think i left my funny in my other pants!
hmm not in the same spectrum of effectiveness??? Oh My!!.. and for years I didn't know!!
ENLIGHTEN US!!
ok...me me me!
when to splash on what??
*quite quite serious!* :D
Post a Comment