Followers Anew

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Since there are simply too many things to say/think/blah-ify, i think this post will explode in a billion different colours of orange.

(pause)

Here is the basic problem. I want to dissect Slumdog Millionaire and throw it to a wild pig to poo over. While seeing it was able to appreciate the style and effect as a whole... However, the more i think about it (ideologically speaking) the more mad i get. It was just plain .... Grr.. okay, this is a very Achebe take on Conrad. To simplify, you're showing a tiny sliver of a humongous country to people (the audience abroad) who aren't necessarily aware of it (India) beyond the stereotypes of poverty, corruption and basic filth. Thank you for highlighting the largest slum in India but perhaps if a larger picture was considered then this effin exoticisation would stop. Stop.

Secondly, am getting tired of this accusation that the study of literature is in no way relevant to the 'real' world. But maybe its something of a relief to not care who the minister of foreign trade is. I don't see the great joy that it brought anyone. (okay, i'm just being grumpy because my current affairs knowledge needs to be brushed up) So, this is officially disqualified as complaining.

The pictures for the huge-family get together are out and posted all over (in secure albums online of course) Would like to post em here, but probably not the best idea. (duh)
Rest assured all cousins are faithfully portrayed as attempting the impossible (a fully un-choreographed dance in under 60 minutes of preparation)

The feeling of being pulled into different directions as well as pushed into a corner is getting a lot stronger. I want relief, please?

Been penning random thoughts on MsWord for the last 3-4 days, working out horrible with the whole spell-check thing mocking me and qualifying my work as 'fragmented'. apparently it's never heard of Indian english. (the 'e' is small deliberately, part of cultural assimilation bla)

On the bright-er side (note this is in bullet points and not mini-para's)

-I didn't watch Chandani Chowk to I-don't-care
-I didn't watch Ghaji-I-Forget-Thy-Name
-I did watch Accidental Husband but the blessed traffic jam made me miss 40 minutes out of 120... (thank god)
-I'm sticking to the main clause of my 7 day agreement with self (shh, its a secret)
-Slumdog Millionaire made me grumpy enough to blog again
-I'm gradually learning the political history of Latin America (gradually)
-With a friends help, i now know how to respond to a text sayin 'wuff' (i asked the text-er, hah)
-H-boy is in Shimla just soaking in the joy of an Art of Living course which i will later grill out of him. (I win, ultimately)
-Jean has to update me about the Jaipur Lit Fest (which sounds fabulous btw)
-Tomorrow is a Sunday :)

Sigh. Life Life Life.

4 comments:

Wandering Minstrel said...

Slumdog millionaire is long pending..ok..so that would be my next post.

this may be the first time i'm disagreeing with you! slumdog millionaire was AWESOME! i loved the movie right from the 4 options to 'it is written'! for once, mainstream cinema was not reel..no bloody SLB sets/Johar's woo-the-NRI-thing/Gowariker's tapestries. So big deal they highlighted the largest slum in Asia and jamaal dripping with shit and the Hindu-Muslim riot (yet again), and the millins of indians who travle on train tops and so many other things that are indeed the essence of India..I'm soo tired of all the shit thats happening around us, that for a moment i don't want to belong here..would it be safe to say..I Don't Care??

*wonders*

*fails*

*asks why again*

sigh.

Wandering Minstrel said...

ok. i got worked up a wee lil bit. soowwwiiieee :)

deluded said...

I dunno.

I slept through half of it.

there were NO talking dogs.........

talk about false advertising.

Samster said...

swati-

i know what you mean. but somewhere it pinched too hard. im tired of it all...so i guess watchin it on screen pushed all of it over the edge, or something like that :)

deluded-

you slept through it??..haw. :P