Followers Anew

Thursday, October 19, 2023

The Good Egg

So if anyone remembers I used to operate out of a different url. Throughout my late teens to the very verbose 20’s and .. to the much quieter 30’s. 

At some point I had a wonderful cathartic thought to change my url and regain some semblance of virtual privacy to ramble on. Well, the url changed and so did the urge to ramble. 

I didn’t think much of it until someone else decided to co-opt my original url. No problem I thought. Until I realised that my past identity was still affixed to this new person. Because every comment I had made on the blogs of other people linked back to this new person with my original url. Oops. 

Too much power in the hands of a stranger to misrepresent me. But well, life goes on and into each life some rain much fall. Ignoring this drizzle I moved on, but found myself curious- what did this new person wish to communicate with the world under my old banner. And the answer was Nothing. Someone had taken it to take it and not written a single word. 

Hmm. Less easy to digest that something has been plucked out of my reach only to serve no purpose other than plucking. Like cooking a delicious meal and not eating it. Sad. 

Anyway in the face of this mild irritant one moves on and forgets- temporarily. Until a random search told me this individual had finally deleted their blog (and url) which meant I should have the option of picking it up after 90 days.

Alas, not true. When a blog is removed the url gets put back in circulation- when a blog is deleted the url is also permanently deleted with it. And now my url is permanently out of reach. The cookie has crumbled. The eggs have been broken. The omelette has been made. And we must forge on. Forging on and ahead. Remembering Bertie Wooster and thinking about what it means to be a truly Good Egg. That version of me is out of reach but the future waits to be written and acted upon. 

To many more attempts at betterment and hopefully much wiser decisions.


1 comment:

Abhay Deshmukh said...

This has the potential to evolve into a chapter within Pramoedya Ananta Toer's book 'All That Is Gone.